India China Eastern Ladakh Stand Off: Indian Army and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have moved back their troops at several locations in Eastern Ladakh as a confidence building measures to facilitate further talks on Wednesday. Both the armies were in a tense stand-off situation for over a month following a brawl between Indian and Chinese Soldiers in early May this year.
“Indian and Chinese armies disengage at multiple points in Eastern Ladakh,” said a report by news agency ANI.
“PLA troops and infantry combat vehicles moved back by 2.5 kilometers in Galwan area, patrolling point 15 and hot springs area,” the report said citing official sources.
According to sources, as a reciprocal measure, Indian Army also moved back its soldiers in several areas in Eastern Ladakh where soldiers of both the armies physically clashed with each other without firing bullets.
It is seen as a confidence building measure ahead of divisional level commanders meeting on Wednesday.
However, these disengagement measures have not been followed in Pangong Lake Finger Area.
These symbolic confidence building movements have followed a meeting between Indian Army’s Lt General Harinder Singh and Major General Lin Liu of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
While Lt General Singh last week assumed the charge of India Army’s 14 Corps that is responsible for the security of the area of the stand-off, Major General Liu is commander of South Xinjiang Military District.
Both the senior military commanders held a marathon meeting on Sunday leading to minor disengagement at several locations on Monday.
However, according to reports, the development cannot be termed as complete disengagement as the troops have just moved back a little as a confidence building measure.