Fincantieri-Leonardo bag major ship maintenance contract from Italian Navy: Orizzonte Sistemi Navali (OSN), a joint venture company owned by Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri and Leonardo has signed an agreement with the Directorate of Naval Armaments of the Secretariat General of Defence / National Armaments Directorate for the maintenance of Italian Navy’s Cavour aircraft carrier and Horizon class destroyers.
While Fincantieri owns 51% stake in the company remaining 49% stake in Orizzonte Sistemi Navali is held by Leonardo.
The maintenance contract, dubbed as the Maintenance in Operational Conditions (MOC) Framework Agreement, covers the maintenance of Italian Navy’s Cavour aircraft carrier and two destroyers Andrea Doria and Caio Duilio.
European defence and security company Leonardo said the Agreement has a maximum total value of euro 190 million and will conclude at the end of 2028.
“The signing of the first implementation contract between the prime contractor OSN and Navarm will take place in the coming days, covering the first two years of service,” Leonardo said in a statement sent to Defence Star.
Specifically, the activities envisaged refer to the platform and combat systems and equipment of the units covered by the Agreement in the period 2023-2028, in order to ensure the maintenance of their operational conditions and the increased expertise of Navy personnel.
According to the company statement, Fincantieri will be responsible for the in-service support activities of the platform systems and equipment, including the engine, automation system, electrical generation and air conditioning systems, manoeuvring and propulsion mechanisms, as well as the aircraft elevators of the Cavour ship and the helicopter transport system of the Horizon class units.
On the other hand, Leonardo will be tasked with all subsystems related to the Combat System, radar sensors, Combat Management System, launchers and weapon systems of the two classes of ships, at the La Spezia and Taranto naval bases.
The Leonardo subsystems involved in the maintenance amount to about 50 pieces of equipment.